The Information & Guidelines You Need
Browse the links below to find resources on a variety of topics that are relevant to the everyday situations that RNs and LPNs face.
The Practice of Nursing and Scopes of Practice
The Board recognizes nurses as a highly valued and integral part of the health care system, and supports nurses practicing to the full extent of their licensed scope of practice as defined in the Nurse Practice Act and administrative rules. Download the PDF below for more information.
RN and LPN Decision Making Model
Download the PDF below for a guide on determining whether specific procedures or tasks are within a RN’s or LPN’s scope of practice.
School Nurse Decision Making Model
Download the PDF below for a guide on medication administration and school nurse’s scope of practice.
RN and LPN Practice FAQs
Frequently Asked Questions regarding procedures and tasks that are within a RN’s or LPN’s scope of practice.
Joint Regulatory Statement – Protocols
Joint Regulatory Statement – Naloxone
Download the PDF below for a statement on the prescription of Naloxone to high-risk individuals.
Nurses and Emergency Administration of Naloxone
Download the PDF below for answers to questions regarding the administration of Naloxone by nurses both while on and off duty.
NCBSN Published Booklet for New Nurses
Click on the link below for a free resource to help nurses better understand nursing regulation and their board of nursing.
Critical Care Nurses’ Physical and Mental Health, Worksite Wellness Support, and Medical Errors
Elder Abuse Mandatory Reporter Training Materials
Pursuant to ORC 5101.63, nurses, dialysis technicians, and employees working in nursing homes, residential care facilities, home health, hospitals, community mental health and other work sites listed in this statute, who have reasonable cause to believe that an adult is being abused, neglected, or exploited, or is in a condition that is the result of abuse, neglect, or exploitation, shall immediately report such belief to the county department of jobs and family services.
The Board of Nursing, as an entity that employs, licenses, or regulates individuals listed as mandatory reporters is tasked with ensuring that these Ohio health care providers have access to the training materials developed by the ODJFS (see ORC 5101.632). The guide for Medical Professionals, and other guides, are available free of charge in hard copy format through the Jobs and Family Services Forms Central website at (https://www.odjfs.state.oh.us/forms) or electronically by clicking the links below:
- Understanding Elder Abuse: A Guide for Medical Professionals
- Understanding Elder Abuse: A Guide for Ohioans
If you have any questions about the training materials, please contact ODJFS Program staff via the APS Mailbox (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Helpful Resources on Using Social Media
Nurses need to be aware of the potential ramifications of disclosing patient-related information through the use of social media. Below are resources on the use of social media.
The Board has developed Interpretive Guidelines regarding certain nursing activities or procedures, not to announce a new policy, but to provide guidance for licensees. Click on the links below for more information.
- Introduction: Utilizing Interpretive Guidelines
- Guidelines for Insertion of an Internal Jugular Central Venous Catheter in Adults
- Guidelines for Filling and Unfilling a Patient’s Gastric Band
- Guidelines for Conservative Sharp Wound Debridement
- Guidelines for Intrapartum Monitoring of Patients Receiving Epidural Infusions
- Guidelines for Monitoring and Management of Epidural Infusions
- Guidelines for Care of Patients Receiving Intravenous Moderate Sedation
- Guidelines for Patients Receiving Intramuscular, Subdermal or Subcutaneously Injected Medications for Cosmetic/Aesthetic Treatment
- Guidelines for RN Administration of Medication during Emergent Intubation
- Guidelines for Registered Nurse Performance of a History and Physical Examination for Purposes of Providing Nursing Care
- Guidelines for Use of Devices for PICC Tip Placement Confirmation
- Guidelines for RN Role in the Care of Patients Undergoing Cardiac Stress Testing
- Guidelines for RN Role in the Care of Patients Receiving Intravitreal Injectable Medications