The Board completes its five-year review of applicable rules in a timely manner each year. Also, each year, individual rules not slated for five-year review are amended to comply with recent legislative changes or for technical or non-substantive reasons.
The Board held a hearing regarding proposed rule revisions on November 20, 2019. You may review the proposed rule changes at the Register of Ohio website, http://www.registerofohio.state.oh.us/rules/search.
For more information regarding the rule-making process, please see:
The Nurse Practice Act - Ohio Revised Code (ORC)
The Board is a government agency created by Ohio law to regulate the practice of nursing in Ohio for the safety of the public. The Ohio legislature enacts the Nurse Practice Act set forth in Chapter 4723. of the Ohio Revised Code.
Administrative Rules - Ohio Administrative Code (OAC)
Based on the Nurse Practice Act, the Board adopts rules, Chapters 4723-1 through 4723-27 of the Ohio Administrative Code, that establish regulations for licensure and certification, standards of practice, discipline, and pre-licensure nursing education.
- Chapter 4723-1 Board Organization and Records
- Chapter 4723-2 Licensing for Active Duty Military and Veterans
- Chapter 4723-3 Definitions
- Chapter 4723-4 Standards of Practice Relative to Registered Nurses or Licensed Practical Nurses
- Chapter 4723-5 Nursing Education Program
- Chapter 4723-6 Alternative Program for Chemical Dependency/Substance Use Disorder Monitoring
- Chapter 4723-7 Examination and Licensure
- Chapter 4723-8 Advanced Practice Registered Nurse Certification and Practice
- Chapter 4723-9 Prescriptive Authority
- Chapter 4723-13 Delegation of Nursing Tasks
- Chapter 4723-14 Continuing Education
- Chapter 4723-16 Hearings
- Chapter 4723-17 Intravenous Therapy Courses for Licensed Practical Nurses
- Chapter 4723-18 Practice Intervention and Improvement Program (PIIP)
- Chapter 4723-20 Prevention of Disease Transmission
- Chapter 4723-23 Dialysis Technicians
- Chapter 4723-25 Nurse Education Grant Program
- Chapter 4723-26 Community Health Workers
- Chapter 4723-27 Medication Administration by Certified Medication Aide